Friday, January 22, 2010

The Lufthansa Experience

Before I begin writing about Paris, I feel it is extremely necessary to share a piece I wrote while on board my flight From Boston to Frankfurt.


No need for sleeping pills on this flight. The Germans have thus far proven to be extremely hospitable, as they provide passengers with an endless supply of beer, liquor, and red or white wine. I have experiences many different things in my many years of traveling, but this flight has been a completely revolutionary experience for me. The on-flight meal was decent, but extremely impressive for air travel standards. Tonight's meal consisted of large penne with cheese and sundried tomato (an interesting combination) for the main dish, and was accompanied by a small mescaline green and baby spinach salad with two small shrimp on top, (an interesting touch; perhaps a regularity in Germany?), a slightly dry roll, a piece of cheddar cheese (not made in Wisconsin, unfortunately), and a chocolate mouse with a large strawberry and shaved white chocolate on top for desert. The television screen indicates that it is 61 Fahrenheit outside right now at our cruising altitude. I don't think anyone is planning on going outside, but that's good to know... I guess.

Tee seats in the "economy" section are fairly standard. Like a European=made car, they are firm and provide good support to most areas of the back. They also have a nice little neck support thingy. A nice dtail is the cup holder that is located on the back of the seat in front of me, next to the TV screen at the top of the seat. You don't typically see that on airplanes (or at least I don't). Point for Lufthansa. I just got up to go to the bathroom, only to discover that the bathrooms, all five of them, were located on the lower level of the plane. Yes, I had to take about eight stairs down to reach the bathroom level, which also included a drinking water station. The Germans are full of surprises.

My only complaint: when the prerecorded voice was giving safety instructions in German, it falt like I was being yelled at. Aside fro that, not a bad start to my journey. Now it's time for drink number three.

More details from days one and two to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment